Monday, May 16, 2011

Bead Street Three-peat

(Actually only a repeat, but I liked the Bulls reference to get us started.)

So, today I got to go back to both Vicente Sotto hospital and to BEAD STREET!!  Oh my goodness.  This time I went totally ape shit and bought more than my arms could carry home from work.  And, I don't know if you have seen my arms, but I've been doing 45 degree angle push-ups for some months now, and can almost do 3 real ones, so you know that's a lotta beads.  It wasn't so much until one vendor in particular noticed me about ready to leave and came over with a million strands of these one pretty cool looking beads.  2.5 pesos a piece.  Then, he said he would sell me like a billion strands for 200 pesos (like $4.65), and I caved.  I figured that they were pretty neat, and it could go far to give to folks back home.  I hope Julienne is fond of quail eggs, which is what Jo Jo said they look like.  I snapped this picture of the fatty bag before I left 'em at work (the black variety of the quail egg beads is sitting on top):


This time it will stay more a surprise what's inside.  Until I can lug that home at least.  Geez.  This is bead street:




This is just one stall.  I had a picture of the really awesome grandma to these girls who owns the stall last time.  One of the deleted ones.  Moment of silence. . . .

And, finish!  Today, I decided I wanted to take pictures of red and yellow things.  (I have visions of getting lots of photos printed).  Here's what I caught so far:












Aren't those all so fun??  There were so many others things to take a picture of, including this guy:


Jollibee is THE fast food restaurant of the Philippines.  I have yet to try it, though there is one right down the street from Pete's Condoville. 

I went to the grocery store (again.  How was I thinking that I could go just a few times and be done for the month?), and found these:


The ones on the right are from a new(?) line of Pringles: Street Food.  This one in particular is the Bangkok Grilled Chicken Wing.  Somehow I doubt these are happening stateside right now.

From the grocery store, I took a cab home.  I told him, "Pete's Condoville; across from University of San Carlos, please," to which he said, "some question in Cebuano Tory didn't understand.  eh?"  "Um,      yes?" says Tory.  No sign of recognition on his face.  No sign of recognition on mine as we drove.  The cab was getting more expensive than it was supposed to be, and we were nowhere.  Sort of scary to try to get a cab driver in the vicinity of somewhere you barely understand the location of, especially when you have a small margin of language overlap.  Turned out he was awesome, and when we realized he had gotten it totally confused with some other Cebu medical training center, he simply asked me what I usually pay to get home from the mall and stopped the meter.  How awesome is that??  So, we chatted life.  Chicago gets me major cred here because they love basketball, and them boys is in the playoffs right now.  I may have told him I met this guy:


Michael Jordan is huuuge here.  I also told him I am 28 (I'm 27) and 5'8" (I'm 5'6 3/4").  What did these little white lies gain me?  I have no idea, but maybe they made him a little more excited about his evening, having given a ride to a very tall, very aged white girl, who is best friends with Mickey J.  Side note: everyone asks me how tall I am.  It's not even like I am that much taller than most the women I have seen.  

One last thing.  Today at the hospital, I was pretty sure I saw a girl with a large goiter, but I wasn't exactly sure that my memory served me well on which one a goiter is (oft confused with gout in my brain).  I Googled it.  Trust me; you likely do not want to Google Image that one.  However, I found this:



Peace out, y'all.

6 comments:

  1. Can we meet at the Klang Klang eatery for lunch? K, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's cool about that one is the living space above it. I wish I were getting more photos of the top floors above some of these street shops. Maybe I can start meeting these folks and get us some VIP dining up there?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had no idea MJ was still so popular there. Then again, back in 2002, my tween cousin told me her favorite celebrity was Matthew Perry, so there ya has it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahaha. Matthew Perry. Oh man. What are their feelings towards the Gin Blossoms, I wonder.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our taxi driver on Bohol had a mix tape that included Blind Melon. We all sang along. It was rad or whatever things were back in 1993.

    ReplyDelete