Thursday, May 26, 2011

Stay tuned


Look what I found! Don't look at this, family; I am bringing tons back home.  
So, not too, too many things to blog about over the last couple days.  I am sort of getting sick (I might be dying), so I have been taking naps and then staying up too late trying to catch my homies online.  BUT, I did do some awesome things.

I watched this guy jump up some stairs in the dark:


And, I did finally take pictures of all the awesome/terrifying/down right confusing statuary around the grounds of Pete's Maison d'Eats and Playhouse. and Footlocker.



Check out these sweet ice creams. Don't worry; they come in NOVELTY SIZE!
Man; Hobby Lobby could make such a killing here.  I hope I find a lawn jockey soon.

I also ate more.  Bring out the food pics!

We were supposed to bring snacks for a session on ethical research with one of the hospitals, which landed us here:




Oh my god.  Angelica's Bakeshop has the most amazing bread I have ever eaten.   Soo soft.  Oh my god.  And then they stuff some of them with chirizo.  And some with ham and cheese.  (And some with tuna; not sold on that idea).  And some of the breads are sweet.  And all of them are made out of perfect clouds (and probably with actual lard).  There is a reason that the fourth image to pop up when you Google "Angelicas bakery Cebu" is this:

I wonder how it must feel to be a candidate for stock images relating to weight gain.  Does that paycheck feel good?  After all, you kind of have to have good skin to do it, and I am sure the American market is very competitive.
And, more eating.  Yesterday was Delia at OPS's birthday.  Sweet!


Bruschetta with mango in it!  So gooood.  

Lechon chicken, awesome barbecue from AA (barbecue place).
Today in the office, it was great to have conversations with some of my coworkers about the "types" of people who go to AA.  Haha.

Full plate.  
The stuff that is in a white cube with yellow flecks on the left is something with a name in Cebuano.  It involves coconut milk (duh; everything does), cornstarch and corn.  If you can get past the texture, it is pretty darn good.  I can only suspend my ability to get past the texture briefly.

Homemade mango pop sickle   
This is what the guts of that awesome cake look like (didn't see this one coming):

It's also purple! Which speaks to how in Cebu, they like to keep things honest; if you are purporting to be a purple cake on the outside, then you had better be a purple cake.  

Awesome pairing with the barbecue.  Mmmm.  So, I finally took myself to the Ranch, the American-themed restaurant pictured here:


I don't know any of these people.

I ordered the ostrich burger.  One thing I learned is that 'medium' does not mean the same thing here (at the Ranch?  in Cebu?) as it does at home.


How much salmonella can you get from undercooked ostrich meat?  Probably as much as I got drinking the Coke from the fountain at Jollibee today.  I was just so damn thirsty, so sick of having to think about making sure my water comes from a sealed container, and couldn't see any bottled fluids behind the counter.  




That bee should be happy.  He is on the cup of the most refreshing Coke I can ever remember having.  

More pig consumption (this time for the sake of training on how to take the placental samples):

Me, some pig livers, and midwives who will be working to take placental samples.  
It went really well.  These ladies are going to do a good job.  I am optimistic, which is good.  It almost even looks like I have arm muscles in that picture.  Sweet.  

So, guess what.  I have an AWESOME TRIP PLANNED THIS WEEKEND!!


I bought a day tour package to Bohol because it was super cheap.  Don't have to pay for a hotel this way, which I am sure I will regret once I see how awesome this place is.  

Here's what my day tour includes:
-Round trip ferry from Cebu to Bohol
-Lei reception (that makes me super uncomfortable, but whatevs)
-Tour to Baclayon Church













-Tour to Loay Backyard Industry
-Loboc river cruise with lunch
-TARSIER VIEWING in captivity



















-Visit at Billar Mahogany Man Made forest
-Chocolate Hills
-Butterfly farm
-Blood Compact Monument

All of that for like $80 after taxes!  That's it!  I cannot wait to post pictures, assuming something freakish like rain or oversleeping doesn't take over Saturday.  

I am trying to round up people at the office to go do some karaoke with me.  I've been practicing this, this and this.  I'm gonna rock the house, y'all.  


1 comment:

  1. !!!!!!!!!!!!!
    oOH MY GOD I LOVE BOHOL@!!!!!!
    we went to see the church
    and the river cruise with lunch
    and chocolate hills (take funny jumping pictures!)
    we didn't go to the butterfly farm, but i think they have flower salads there
    we went to the blood compact monument (take pics there too!!)

    we stayed @ alona beach in tierra azul

    i miss that place
    you're going to have so so so much fun!!

    ReplyDelete