Friday, May 20, 2011

In the name of Manila Light

Hey-yo!  So, I finally got a hold of the people here at Pete's Condoville, and they came to spray yesterday morning, right after I had to kill ANOTHER cockroach, this time in MY CLOSET!!.  Yuck.  I am pretty sure this is what they used:




While I had mixed feelings about it, and the sweet fumes it put out, I was really excited about the idea of no more roaches.  However, I was super scared for this guy:


Just as I get excited about bugs being dead as hell, this awesome praying mantis shows up on my screen and won't leave.  After they got done, I tried to scrape it up with my badge for my job (they gave me a badge; how cool is that?).  It started crawling towards my hand really fast.  I tried to put it in the plants by my apartment, but then it tried ferociously to fly up this:


And I freaked out.  It would not quite trying.  I sort of ran.  I wish her the best.  

Guess where I went after work yesterday.  Just guess.  That's right!  Ayala Mall!!


So we could see a movie in Tagalog called In The Name of Love.  A-ma-zing.  Lemme tell you; that actor can cry on cue like non other.  He had to have spent at least half the film in tears, while looking at reflective surfaces.  And, *spoiler alert* that girl just cannot get shot.  Seriously, watch the trailer.  You'll be glad.  Can't understand but a few English words that were said, but I'm pretty sure I got the gist of it.  

But, beforehand, I ate this:



It was soooo good.  Green tea fro-yo with mochi and red bean.  They let you take food into the theaters there, which I am a big fan of.  Because I had also just eaten here:



I had, noodles, rice and something that was pork in coconut milk.  It was very similar to panang curry, and I loved it.

After movie-going and eating, Jo Jo and her husband Gi Gi dropped me off at The Outpost bar.  So fun!!  It is a bar/venue here in Cebu that is run by Randy, the husband of Carmen, who works at OPS.  Here's Randy (on the right):

Ex-communist from Jersey, who now likes to get in heated debates about how much he loves Ayn Rand, and Randy, who doesn't really give a shit either way and just wants to drink.  
The people at this bar are wonderful.  They are artists, derelicts, ex-pats from all over, French fashion photographers, or just folks who keep coming back because they like philosophical debate.  Makes sense; Randy himself is bar owner/ architect/ sporting goods manufacturer.  I had so much fun.  I also had so much booze.

Philippines' own!
And this:

According to Randy, best stuff in the world.
I think I had at least three of each, which is why I look like this:


at 1:30 in the afternoon.  I was supposed to go on a city tour while some of the ladies at the office conducted birth interviews early this morning, but there was no way.  (Sorry, Austin, for typing nonsense and then passing out.)

In the bathroom at the bar, I found this awesome lizard!

Moved way too fast for me to take a picture. 

Looks like he got his little back toenails did.  
I watched him conquer a bunch of little bugs while I was in there.  I met Randy's niece, Scarlet, who is the outdoors type, and has family who own a resort with hot springs situated on a river.  Which they offered to take me to today!!!!!  And, I get to camp there, I think.  I am so so so so excited.  Hope it happens.

Randy's niece
I will be sure to take lots and lots of pictures.  If it doesn't happen, I have big plans to try out The Ranch, the American-themed restaurant down the street with the 20ft Woody from Toy Story out front, and drop off laundry.  I'm very interested to see how many kilos two weeks' worth of dirty laundry translates to.

No comments:

Post a Comment